Monday 28 February 2011

Just for the record

I found this old skool record player, in the dsw dump site near bellair. I was really attracted to its outer orangey brown 70,s retro finish. I was adamant i was going to fix it and make it work, unfortunately i couldnt , due to the fact that i was unable to find parts. It was obviously their for a reason.
I kept it under my bed for one year, and decided that id save it for a rainy day.
Today it never rained, but i figured it was a good enough day to experiment with a concept i had surrounding music.


The vision came yesterday ,as i was sitting on the beach. I thought about, the concept of creating a mechanical loop. It would be interesting if one could use the turntable as a constant turning mechanisim, with arms to strike objects at various intervals in its rotational course. The aim to produce a range of experimental sounds, using found objects  thus creating a mechanical loop. Many turntables could be added, to increase and variate the sounds. Perhaps it was just going to be one of those thoughts, that plagued me for the rest of my life until i realised it was worth spending some time on.
 I felt dissapointed when i noticed the turn table wasnt turning, so started taking it apart to see how i could put it to good use.

Im using the central turning plate now as a cymbal for another side project, which is the construction of a drumkit fused with sound sources primarily of a found object nature,as well as an old snare, which i found, and restored back to good health.
The turning plate,  has 3 distinct sounds,opposed to one long glazed metallic sound which could be a good variation, and alot of fun for late afternoon jams.

As i got deeper into the heartland of the "beast", wires which could be described as arteries were weaved in and out of the player. I found some very interesting pc boards, which are different from the modern p.c boards, their ,patterns are free flowing and organic, like rivers and contour maps.
I had  an acute sense of nostalgia, as i became caught up in the "contour map" of one of the p.c boards as i revisited my time in the film industry,making scale models.
Ive now reverted back to thinking about jewellery, my default settings, if you like. As i wonder through the face of these patterns created for connecting currents, i find myself treading water in ideas, wondering about the lifejacket of potential, and where i can swim with these starting points.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Etsy shop